Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The day Ben got out of Mother's Day

Just so you are in the loop, Ben had a mini stroke this past Saturday. Before you freak out, please know that he is fine. We are all fine.

He was in the car with a woman from our church, headed to Cub Scout day camp. They were discussing allergies, when all of a sudden, Ben wanted to say the words "allergy clinic." Only he couldn't. Instead, what came out were a series of jumbled words that made no sense. He knew in his mind what he wanted to say, he just couldn't say it. This "expressive aphasia" lasted about 90 seconds. Ben tells me that it sounded a lot like this lady:



It's unfortunate that people ruthlessly made fun of this reporter for suffering a stroke on air.

Long story short, Ben went to the ER (which is a post in and of itself), managed to get someone to take him seriously, then later that night, he received a CAT Scan and an MRI. The CAT Scan was negative, the MRI was clear, so yesterday he had an echocardiogram, which showed a PFO, or tiny hole in his heart.

And that's where we're at now. Again, he is doing fine, and we are hoping he comes home from the hospital today. Prayers are always a good thing. I feel calm and optimistic currently, although Saturday night was pretty scary (and not just because of the lady screaming about her son being stabbed.)

The following people are rock stars: Clayton Jones, Michelle Walker, Lisa and Cameron Van Tassell, Tagg Grant and Lisa Piorczynski, Nate Olson, and Branden Berns. And of course, everyone else who has offered their love and support via phone calls, e-mails and texts. I would be a hopeless wreck without all of you!

14 comments:

Heather said...

Grandma told me about Ben so you have all been in our prayers. Not good that they found something but yet it is so he can get the issue resolved. I hope he gets out of the hospital soon and that he heals quickly. Hang in there.

Mindy Gledhill said...

Praying for you guys! I hope test results show that this is not serious. I'm sure all will work out. Love you Hailey!

Amy said...

I'm so sorry this was so scary! My mom had the EXACT same thing happen to her. They found a PFO as well, she had the minor surgery, and she's great. So I hope it's just as easy for you guys.

Beeswax said...

So I'd been on the phone with Melanie or like 30 minutes yesterday when she asks, so did you hear Ben's in the hospital? And I was thinking, hey news reporter Melanie, that was your lead story.

I wish I was there to help!

Hannah S said...

Scary!! I am glad you are all okay. I hope the tests come back hopeful and positively.

April Fossen said...

Oh Hailey! Sending you good thoughts of whole hearts!

allyson said...

I hope all turns out well. I am sorry for all the craziness. I pray he gets all the help he needs.

Carina said...

That's bananas!

I'm terrified of strokes. I've learned all the symptoms so I can panic appropriately when the time comes.

Hugs!

Heidi said...

My family has been through this! My sister was diagnosed with a level 5 PFO (the biggest they come) in October 2009 after a VERY intuitive doctor listened to her headache/tiredness/dizziness/shortness of breath complaints and suggested a Doppler test. My sister was diagnosed with asthma as a child, has had mono twice, and could sleep for 12 hours and wake up exhausted--the PFO diagnosis made a LOT of sense, especially with the headaches (actually micro strokes) and coughing fits she'd have. It was a relief to finally know what was going on!

She had the procedure in December 2009, was in the hospital for a night, and came home with a quarter-sized titanium mesh implant in her heart--tired but happy that it all went well. Since then, her heart has completely healed and her health has improved in amazing ways: no more coughing jags, better sleep, not nearly as many migraines, no shortness of breath. It's amazing what a difference a small procedure can make. Here's hoping Ben's healing is just as good!

~j. said...

Oh my goodness gracious! Prayers and hugs, Hailey.

Hailey said...

Thanks for the prayers, thoughts, and insights! You guys are the best!

Annette said...

How rude of Ben to ruin Mother's Day like that. That's scary. Hope all is well!

Mom n Pop Wilson said...

We missed this whole event as we have been out of town and out of touch for the past week. What have you found out? We'll definitely add Ben to our growing prayer list. We hope and pray for good news!

Unknown said...

Hailey (and Ben) thoughts and prayers from Utah to you. And kudos for continuing to get through hard things with a lot of grace. Hang in there.