Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Just Call Me Superlative Jones

I'm not one to give something or someone more praise than it/he/she deserves. But I know something that lights my fire when I read/hear/wear/taste it, and then I want to spread the good word. It's the least I can do.

*I just got this swimsuit top (in brown) in the mail today.


I have to admit, I bought it because I saw a picture of Jenny wearing it. I felt a little guilty for copying her, until I tried it on. It is THE cutest swimsuit top I have ever worn in my ENTIRE life. It makes me forget that I'm wearing a swimsuit, which is pretty much an impossible feat, and hides everything that I have (and don't have.) Brilliant. So, dear Jenny, please forgive me. You can find it here, although maybe you should not get it if you think you will be swimming with Jenny and I. Awkward.

*Yesterday, while on a Target run, I stopped by the bakery to grab something since I had not eaten breakfast. I saw this intriguing confection called an "iced cinnamon roll," although it just looked like a big, tall, glazed donut. I don't know why I got it, because I don't even love cinnamon rolls. However, I'm so glad I did because it was the BEST cinnamon roll on the PLANET. Sorry, Rachel, but it might even be better than your homemade ones back in the day. I ate it so fast that I had frosting all over my face when I got to Lisa's to get my kids. Kind of embarrassing, but Lisa understood. I really hope your Target has a bakery and that it has those things, because dang!

*While in New York a few weeks ago, I went to Chinatown with my in-laws. Ben had recommended that we grab some "pork bons" while there. Ben, I will LOVE you forever for that suggestion. They were like a sweet, steamy, doughy, savory, meaty party in my mouth, and pretty much changed my LIFE. I asked my mother-in-law, Sherry, to take this picture of me eating a pork bon so I would never forget this life-changing moment, and she didn't even bat an eye because I've been in the family for eleven years and she is totally accustomed to my dramatics by now.


Finally, a few more recommendations that may not be the MOST amazing things in the UNIVERSE, but they sure are awesome:

1) The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins. I have thought about this book every day since I finished it two weeks ago. I had the most difficult time putting it down, and that almost never happens to me. I found out that it's actually teen sci-fi, but hey, even better, because the heroine in THIS book actually has passions and perspective and is a fascinating, complex character. Can't wait for the sequel in the Fall. Disclaimer: Do NOT read this if you prefer light-hearted, escapist literature. Definitely not for you. DO read it if you loved The Road. I also recommend The Book of a Thousand Days, by Shannon Hale. Thanks to my wonderful mom who gave me both books to devour when I was "vacationing" in Boston!

2) If you are not watching SYTYCD, you must start NOW. Tomorrow night is the 100th episode and they will showcase some of the most famous routines ever. I'm not sure I will even be able to sleep tonight in anticipation. And if you missed it, please youtube Mia Michael's routine from this season about addiction set to my personal favorite song, Sara Bareilles' "Gravity." It was powerfully danced by Kayla and Kuponu. Also, thanks to Nap and Tab for that killer group routine set to The White Stripes' "Seven Nation Army," one of my new favorite songs-to-do-dishes-to-while-Ethan-dances.

15 comments:

voyageuse said...

Guess who walked into work today? A Mr. Wade Robson. I just about fell over. Sandra Bullock? Whatever. But WADE ROBSON?! Starstruck. He wears Jon Varvatos in case you were wondering.

kacy faulconer said...

Um, too intensified, may I ask where you work and could you tell us more about this encounter? Jon Varvatos shoes? Or what?

Oh. Hi Hailey.

Jenni said...

I was watching Food Network for like the 489th hour in the past few weeks and saw a feature about those pork bons! Crazy! LOVe that cute swim top...super cuute stuff! And YUMMY sounding cinnamon roll...oh how I miss Super Targets. We only have the regular Targets out west! boo hoo.

Shawn said...

Can't wait to see you in your new suit top! You will have to model it----even though it might be Oct...

Cinnamon bun? Yum!!

And thank goodness you have such a super savvy Mum to recommend such good books for you----just sayin'.

(I'm reading Goose Girl now----loving it!)

Hailey said...

Laura--YOU JUST BLEW MY MIND. And Kacy's. Remember how we love Travis, too, Laura? Remember?

Kacy---it's OK--this is a safe Wafe Robson haven.

Jenni--it's official--I cannot live in the westier west.

Hailey said...

And Mom--you posted at the same time as me, so that's why I didn't respond to you, but yes, I should have given you credit for the books--I will fix that!

Hailey said...

Oops, and by Wafe, I meant Wade, of course. (I sure hope he never reads that.)

Beeswax said...

Okay. That swimsuit is super cute, but all the parts I need to cover would be hanging out the bottom of it. It would not be purty.

I really like THOUSAND DAYS. Better than Goose Girl. I really liked the heroine.

I'll ask my brother Ryan about the roll. He's worked at Target for like 15 years.

I love me some SYTYCD. Don't get me wrong. But did you think all the weeping over the breast cancer dance seemed a little fake and over the top? At least Ellen didn't cry. Jake walked in during this weepfest and immediately left again in disgust. He won't watch with me cause of the jedges. Yes, I meant jedges.

Hailey said...

Kelly, I mean Beeswax, don't you worry--I wear swimshorts that I adore that cover everything.

As for the breast cancer dance: leading up to it, my friend and I got very apprehensive and said things like, "Someone's going for the Emmy!" and, "They aren't going to manipulate me!" But then I ended up enjoying the dance and I did cry. And the end was like "Footprints," so I guess they got me...

Annette said...

I loved The Hunger Games, too. And SYTYCD. And Wade Robson. Can't wait for tonight.

voyageuse said...

Kacy-- I work at Sephora in Soho, NYC. Wade wears Jon Varvatos cologne (good choice). I am actually slightly heartbroken because I only got to see him from a distance as I was helping another client, because I certainly would have told him how much I appreciate his work on SYTYCD. But he was very nice and considerate (I could overhear him while at the register). And attractive.

Hailey-- Last week when Travis choreographed (how cute was it that he was so nervous!) I thought of you and me and Jenny on our SYTYCD nights and missed them! I watch SYTYCD alone here, on my computer, and I really miss the camaraderie of viewing with a friend who appreciates it as much as I do. I was so happy Travis is doing well. And I loved his dance.

I read The Hunger Games a couple of months ago and I am still thinking about it. Can't wait for the sequel to come out! My favorite Shanon Hale book is 'Enna Burning', if you haven't read that one yet... And another juvenile lit. book I really enjoyed lately was 'Graceling' by Kristin Cashore. I still like Hunger Games more, but I was also impressed with this heroine. Because you know, you do need something to occupy your mind while we're waiting for that Hunger Games sequel.

Katie said...

Cute post Hailey! I LOVE that swimsuit top- adorable! Sydney and I watch SYTYCD and are completely addicted. After last night my favorites might have changed. Melissa kind of bugs me, and I like Ade except for when he wears tight red pants that are pulled up too high, but their last dance? Wow!

Mom n Pop Wilson said...

The Book of a Thousand Days is one of my favorites!

We used to eat those pork buns when we lived in Seattle. Yum! I haven't had one for years.

Amy said...

Loved the swimming suit. Also, I love to count how many times Nigel offends one of the choreographers during each show. Like how yesterday he was "disappointed with the hip-hop" from the season. Was that directed at Nap and Tab? Because while I enjoyed their group number, some of their routines made me cringe. And he was a little hard on the waltz guy, wasn't he?

Jewels said...

I MUST get that suit - even though I'm sure I'll just look like a dandelion with lumpy stems, but who cares, right? It's SO cute!! And if my Target is the same as your Target, I must get to that bakery toute suite.

Will I see you Saturday? I have missed you! Lets not wear out matching bathing suits, though.