Monday, September 27, 2010

New town, new blog, same me!

I have had my blog since 2005, but it has certainly suffered much neglect in recent years, due to the birth of twins, followed by a plethora of creative projects in my real life. I have always blogged to try and document my life in a somewhat entertaining way, to stay connected with friends and family, and as therapy. So now that I have moved across the country to the completely foreign land of Manhattan, I once again feel the need to write down all of the things that happen to us while giving my much missed loved ones a glimpse into our new life here. As I type this, I am painfully aware of how long it's been since I've written. I'm rusty and it will probably take me some time to re-find my blog voice. I mean, I'm already bored to tears with everything I've just written, but oh well, exposition is a necessary evil!

I changed the blog title because why not? I was going to call it, "Just the Nanny" because I decided that that would be my ready-made response to Manhattanites who accosted me on the street. However, after being here three weeks, I now know I ain't foolin' nobody--those blonde, blue-eyed rugrats are all me. Awesome is a word I use WAY too much, but I love it because it has so many different meanings depending on the context. For example, if I was talking to Chris and Lisa Clark about someone who was being all awesome, that would not be a good thing. Similarly, if I was crossing Amsterdam and all of my groceries spilled out all over the street, that would also elicit an "awesome." And then, of course, I have completely awesome friends who are awesome in the truest sense and I could only ever hope to emulate them. Also, Friday Night Lights is AWESOME and why aren't you watching it?

But if you know me, then you already know all that, and what stranger is going to read all this? So basically, I just wasted a lot of time and words. But I think it might be funny for my grand kids to read this some day and make fun of me because I liked archaic old fogey words like "awesome." Which reminds me, another word I like is "boss." My mother-in-law uses it all the time to describe things that are cool and I love it when my ten year old blurts out, "That is SO boss, Mom!" Feel free to try that one out some time.*

*Other expressions I may or may not be currently or soon-to-be implementing into my every day speech: my friend, Natalie told me that, instead of giving someone the benefit of the doubt, she gives them the B.O.D., or bod, because it's easier to say. I love it, I'm stealing it. Also, on Project Runway these days, Valerie keeps saying cray-cray instead of crazy and I can't get it out of my head. What expressions/words can I steal from you?

1 comment:

kacy faulconer said...

I just really hate Ivy on Project Runway.