Monday, September 19, 2005

to Tivo, with Love

OK, so maybe I'm just way too excited for the upcoming weeks, but I just want to take a moment to say thank you to whoever it is out there that invented Tivo! Tivo is my best friend. (So sad, but so true.) I really cannot remember what my life was like before it. But I can guess that it was much more stressful, contentious, and productive! Stressful because I had to miss so many shows when I had to be somewhere, contentious because I had to yell at my kids to get into bed before 8 or else, and productive because I couldn't watch every show on the planet! Seriously, though, how do people live without rewinding, fast forwarding and pausing stuff? Nine times out of ten, I'm too deaf to hear what someone just said-- now it's just a rewind button away! Before, I had to just say "Huh?" and move on. I never even know what products are in stores these days, because commercials? What are those? I fast over 'em. And the pause button. I'm in love. Gotta pee? Need 2 minutes and 35 seconds to pop popcorn? Two-year old creeping down the stairs? No problem. There is one downside to being too accustomed to this Tivo lifestyle, however. I find myself trying to find the rewind button in my car on the radio, so I can hear a part of a song one more time. Crazy. So, technology people, that's your next project. But overall, I'm overwhelmed with gratitude.

I'd have to say that this feeling goes for most modern technology. Where would I be without it? And what does the future have in store? I can't even imagine all the little toys that my spoiled kids and grandkids will "need."

I just know I'm going to be that grandma some day who says things like, "When I was a kid, if we wanted to record something, we had to put this tape into this machine called a VCR...." and "I know you kids have Ipods the size of a quarter now, but I got a Bananarama tape for Christmas once and I played it in my boombox," or "The only computer game we played when I was a kid was moving this little triangle around that was supposed to be a turtle."

And then my grandkids will go home and write in their blogs, "My grandma is hilarous..."

7 comments:

bionictrout said...

I think TiVo is best for sports. How else would we be able to cut a 3 hour sporting event down to an hour and a hlaf, and then inflate it back to 3 hours by all the rewinding and slow motion?

April Fossen said...

I so agree. Parenting would be impossible without TiVo! And what an incentive for Cora to learn to read--so she can find her shows herself.

Jenni said...

funny, i'm in love with my dvr too! it's like the greatest technological invention in recent years-at least the easiest to use!

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!! Tivo is my hero!! I agree so wholeheartedly!! I always go through the week on Sat. for the next weeks recordings---and its like getting a prize when I check what I have to watch, later, at night... Definitely cheap thrills!! I also LOVE Netflix---as its like getting mail and a movie that I ordered 3 or 4 months ago that I forgot about and I open it up and get a surprize! Of course I always have at least 95 movies in my queue... I also adore mail order as I love getting "presents" in the mail...I certainly hope that they don't ever get rid of the mail in the future----I'll be in trouble...

Anonymous said...

im waiting.......

Lisa said...

My DVR has made me a better mother. I think they should advertise in Parenting magazines, spreading the world. Don't mess with momma's shows.

Hailey said...

Amen, Lisa, amen.